Shiitake & White Mushroom Soup
One of the most requested dish to make at parties with friends and family.
Heres the recipe for all the friends and family wanting to try out their own version of mushroom soup. This is based on my own estimation of the ingredients used.
Everything you need to make your soup!!
Shiitake and white button mushroom soup (Serves 10- 12 bowls or 5 hungry mushroom lovers)
- 200g of brown or white button mushroom
- 70g of shiitake mushroom (optional, 200g of mushroom is already enough), chopped
- 100g of white onion and leek (not Chinese leek), chopped
- 40g of butter
- 50g of flour (plain)
- 1.5 teaspoon of dried herbs (Herbes de provence or rosemary, oregano, thyme)
- 1L of hot vegetable stock (or 1L of hot water with dissolved 1 cube of vegetable stock)
- 80g Cream (optional and you may add more if you prefer a creamier taste)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Chop all your vegetables then set aside. In a pot, boil your vegetable stock and set aside.
- With a another large pot, melt your butter in your pot, add leek and onions and fry till soften, green and fragrances released.
- After that, lower fire and add flour into the vegetables, the mixture should look sandy and the vegetables coated with flour. Mix well quickly then pour in the vegetable stock, mushrooms and dried herbs.
- Bring the fire up again and bring it to a boil. Lower the fire and let it simmer for 30mins, the stock should thicken over time. During the 30mins of simmering, stir occasionally and strain any grey foam residue that forms on the top (usually after 20mins of boiling)
- Using a hand-held blender, blend the mushroom and leek together, this will take about 1-2mins. Finally add salt and pepper to taste, stir in the cream (optional) just before serving.
Roughly chopped mushrooms and leek.
After adding the flour the pot of vegetables should look like this.
Pouring in all the mushrooms, such loveliness.
After the 30mins of boiling don’t worry if the mushrooms are still in big pieces, you’re suppose to blend the soup and it will look more like this below. If you do not have a hand-held blender do not attempt to blend it in your normal blender when its hot. It will explode (because of the hot air expansion in the container)
Made this soup for my party last Saturday and also taught the girls how to make it. Now you guys can try it out too 🙂